Every year, on Christmas morning, we can be sure to have a pretty package waiting outside our bedroom doors. Inside is a pair of pajamas that we promptly get changed into to start cooking a morning feast!
This year was no exception. Alongside my partner in shine, we delivered a delicious menu…and these gluten free, dairy free pancakes were the stars of the show.
So go ahead, put on your pj’s and give these a try!
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 TBSP maple syrup (divided)
- 3/4 Lemon (juiced and divided)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 8 TBSP arrowroot flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 apple (cored and diced)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 cup almond flour
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, almond milk, 1/3 of the maple syrup, 1/3 of the lemon juice and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut flour and arrowroot flour. Add to the wet mixture about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking thoroughly.
- Mix in baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Grease a large skillet with olive oil and place over medium heat. Once hot, pour pancakes in the skillet, about 3-inches wide.
- Once small holes begin to appear in the surface of the pancake, sprinkle a few apple chunks onto it and flip over. Cook each side approximately 3-4 minutes. Repeat until batter is finished.
- Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining apple chunks, cinnamon, the remaining 2/3 of the lemon juice and the remaining 2/3 of the maple syrup. Stir until combined.
- Add almond flour and turn down to low-medium heat. Let simmer and stir occasionally for 3-5 minutes or until apple chunks are soft.
- Top apple pancakes with chunky apple cinnamon sauce and enjoy!